Kathryn Berry e-Portfolio

Learning to Teach by Learning to Learn

Block 2 – Summative Reflection

My Block 1 Inquiry Question was: How can I effectively teach EVERY student? I have basically kept this inquiry throughout my time in the Education Program. I have made some adjustments, getting more specific over time, then getting broad again. For example, “how do I teach all learners division?” – which leads me to ask, “how can I teach ALL learners?”

Those are big questions. It requires a type of inquiry approach to attempt to answer the question(s). What I am realizing is that some questions are not meant to be “answered” per se. I should work hard to find strategies that support my inquiry approach and inquiry question, but there is no simple answer. Allow me to explain in more detail below.

I chose the Spirals of Inquiry approach to support my big inquiry question of “how can I effectively teach EVERY student?” in Block 2. The Spirals of Inquiry approach is about asking the important questions while following the steps. It is important to note that these steps flow into one another, and the spiral is connected, meaning that the inquiry process is cyclical. I chose this approach because it feels natural. One asks the important questions, while revisiting the steps as one gathers information.

My inquiry has been both at the forefront and in the back of my mind as I navigate the coursework and EDUC391 practicum in Block 2. Teaching every student means using the principles of the Universal Design for Learning and Differentiated Instruction. I have learned a great deal about my inquiry throughout Block 2. Teaching all learners requires careful planning for exceptional learners, those that need more support, and those that require a different approach. For example, I tend to focus on the audio/visual aspects of teaching, but I have learned about the importance of “doing”, as well.

Another way to enhance the “doing” part of learning is the incorporation of ADST (Applied Design, Skills, and Technologies). We (Elementary cohort) had the privilege of learning about ADST in Math/Science (EDUC398) and the Humanities (EDUC397).

Part of good teaching is having good assessment strategies and following through based on what the assessment tells you about the learners, and the teaching itself. EDUC421 has taught me that assessment, when done appropriately, informs and supports learning. I used to think that assessment was all about the grades, but it is so much more than that. Assessment and feedback should be utilized in a manner that supports student learning. Using a variety of assessment techniques, such as pre-assessment, self-assessment, formative assessment and feedback, and summative assessment will lead to stronger, more confident students (and educators!).

The reflections as part of EDUC391 and EDUC405 were insightful for me as both a learner and an educator. The interwoven course EDUC446 was also insightful, as we were interacting with Indigenous content in a respectful, trusting environment. Reviewing the Discussion Board posts from my classmates was inspiring.

So, what have I learned about my inquiry? I have learned about the importance of the question itself. I have learned that ADST is a valuable, important part of the learning continuum.  I have learned that assessment is a tool to inform teaching and learning. I also learned that building a sense of community and collaboration with colleagues is important to my success, not only as a student, but as an educator. Finally, I realize now that learning (and especially learning to be an educator) never ends. The important questions will never be fully answered, and that is a good thing. It means that the exploration will continue, and I will learn how to be a more effective educator over time.

One of my goals for Block 3 is to continue working on assignments and other coursework steadily, as I “mostly” accomplished this Block. I am really interested in the class list for Block 3, and I think it will be easy to stay focused with such interesting content. In terms of my upcoming practicum (EDUC400), I also want to be staying on top of my tasks. My first week in EDUC391 practicum was rather difficult. I found it overwhelming to plan “last minute” the day before a lesson. Instead, for week 2-3, I spent time planning on the weekend for the entire week and made smaller adjustments the day beforehand. That worked much better and gave me a sense of control on my stress levels. By week 3, I felt as though I was simply another teacher in the school – it felt like I was doing my best lessons, and my best preparation (lesson plans really started coming together).

I would like to attend more Pro-D opportunities and develop my confidence and sense of self as an educator. I am scheduled to attend the Spring Fling conference on April 23, 2021. It will be nice to finally have time to attend a Pro-D day.

My final goal is to focus on effective teaching strategies in Block 3, both in EDUC490 practicum and through my coursework. I want to further investigate my inquiry question(s), and better develop my skills as both a learner and educator.

My work station, complete with coffee (April, 2021).

EDUC391 – Practicum Reflection

To say that the practicum was a learning curve would be an understatement. It was a huge learning curve! But, I loved it. I went from shaking and barely breathing in front of the class to truly enjoying my role as an educator.

One of my biggest strengths actually began as my biggest learning curves: classroom management. At the end of the three weeks, I was able to simple pause and students would listen. I began very shy and quiet, as if I was asking the students for permission to teach them. I had to learn to use my voice and attention-getters (ringing the hand bell, or chime) to show them what the expectations were. That, in itself, was a learning curve: having clear expectations. I always knew what I expected from my learners, but they weren’t mind-readers, so I had to make it clear. Once I began to better manage the classroom dynamics and expectations, the students really responded. I think I was worried that I would appear “mean” if I came on too strong, and I was constantly concerned that I was not good enough for them. My Coaching Teacher was amazing, and reassured me that I have the qualities of a great teacher. I just needed the confidence.

In the end, it was my confidence and classroom management techniques that really made me feel like I was ready for the next challenge. Yes, my “weaknesses” turned out to be areas I now consider strengths.

My Coaching Teacher suggested some unexpected areas to really focus on when considering my strengths. In her mind, my biggest strengths are not something that can be taught in school. She said that it was my kindness, sincerely caring nature, passion for teaching, and love of all children that would make me an ideal teacher. Now, it is hard to admit something like that, since I do not take compliments well. I do care, though. I do have a strong passion for teaching. I do love all children. I am very careful to show children that I am there for them. I was honoured to get such a sincere compliment from my Coaching Teacher, as she inspires me to be kind and caring to all children.

My students were incredible. I loved each and every one of them for their uniqueness and curious brains. I was a bit nervous teaching “old kids” (I thought of myself as a K-2 teacher), but I absolutely adored my 3/4 split class. The students must have enjoyed me too, as they worked so hard to create a beautiful flipbook of thank you’s and good wishes for me. I definitely shed a few bittersweet tears on my last day – I will miss them, and I am sincerely grateful to them all. My students made me a better teacher, and my Coaching Teacher gave me the strength to explore teaching in a safe, healthy setting.

Moving forward, in EDUC490, I want to find more ways to reach all learners using differentiated instruction techniques. I want to challenge learners, while supporting those who require extra support. I know that the things I used to worry about (being confident, relationship-building, classroom management) will come with patience and time (and hard work, of course). They are no longer scary unknowns to me, though. I know I can do this with the support of my own cohort and professors at UNBC Education Program, along with my Coaching Teacher(s) and personal relationships with family and friends.

Coding with Scratch

We had the delight of attending a Coding Workshop on Thursday, February 11, 2021, by KCJ. We used Scratch to facilitate our learning for the workshop. Scratch is a user-friendly coding website where you can create projects privately and you can choose to share your work with others. I had never used Scratch before Thursday, but I have a feeling that I’ll be coming back to it soon.

We were given instructions on how to manipulate the items (or characters) in a space using simple word codes, such as “go to [random location]” and then encouraged to go on our own Scratch site to try it out. Well, that was all the motivation I needed to get flying at it. I surprised myself by being rather quick to catch on!

There were important learning extensions that came of this workshop. It could be applicable to many different subjects. For instance, when we coded the cartoon cat to run to the ball, we could choose a specific x- or y-coordinate for the cat’s location. Furthermore, we could also choose to bounce the ball, by selecting an equally distant +/- y-coordinate.

When we did the airplane-across-the-map simulation, we could focus on rotation angles and distances. This could be a wonderful applied mathematics activity, with a cross-curricular focus on geography.

I am currently teaching a wonderful grade 3/4 class. I could see myself using Scratch to demonstrate applied mathematics and geography. I would certainly consider using coding in my practicum experience. It is safe and secure, with the added benefit of being fun for all. I would like to spend some time familiarizing myself with the different coding options on Scratch. These pre-loaded, teachable simulations were a great introduction to coding.

Personally, I found the workshop very fun and insightful for me as a learner. I allowed myself the space to play with the Scratch website, and to wonder “what can I do next?” as I was working. I learned a lot in this workshop, but my main take-away was simply: play. I learned to do by playing through the whole experience. The experience was about using my curiosity to come up with a unique simulation.

Now, excuse me, I want to see what happens when I ask my cat to chase the ball around the square!

Coding for kids. (n.d.). Retrieved February 14, 2021, from https://kidscodejeunesse.org/

Imagine, program, share. (n.d.). Retrieved February 14, 2021, from https://scratch.mit.edu/

The Digital Footprint

“A digital footprint is a trail of data you create while using the Internet. It includes the websites you visit, emails you send, and information you submit to online services” (Digital Footprint, n.d., p. 1). It is like the breadcrumbs along the trail that you walk in the land of the internet. So, why does it matter?

Firstly, I must point out that there are passive and active digital footprints. The passive digital footprint “is a data trail you unintentionally leave online. For example, when you visit a website, the web server may log your IP address, which identifies your Internet service provider and your approximate location” (Digital Footprint, n.d., p. 1). The active digital footprint “includes data that you intentionally submit online” (Digital Footprint, n.d., p. 1). As you might assume, both the passive and the active digital footprint is important to consider, especially in light of new research and law-making (Weaver & Gahegan, 2007). Public privacy acts are important to how safe and secure we feel about our online lives today (Weaver & Gahegan, 2007). As Weaver & Gahegan (2007) state, “[d]iscourses abound on all sides of the debates between the desire for new technology, the right to privacy, and the need for security” (p. 347).

The important thing to remember is that we have the power to influence how large or small our digital footprint is. Although there are arguments to be made for a larger digital footprint, especially for new working professionals, such as educators (Hewson, 2013), there are also reasons to maintain a moderate digital footprint. Personal safety, security, and sense of privacy in an online life is important. Oversharing on social media is arguably becoming an issue, as younger and younger people are becoming digitally literate. (Please see my blogs on Digital Literacy and Digital Citizenship). That being said, having no online presence today can potentially limit your career. For instance, prospective employers will likely want to see a new educator’s e-portfolio and other online contributions (twitter, and other social media). These future employers may prefer a candidate that has a respectable online presence and digital footprint over another candidate with no online presence.

Certainly, as the world becomes increasingly digitalized, we have a responsibility to conduct ourselves with digital citizenship and maintain our digital literacy. As with many parts of life, it is wise to regard our digital footprints’ size with caution. Not too big, not too small, juuuuust … right?

Digital Footprint. (n.d.). Retrieved January 21, 2021, from https://techterms.com/definition/digital_footprint#:~:text=A%20digital%20footprint%20is%20a,trail%20you%20unintentionally%20leave%20online

Hewson, K. (2013). What size is your digital footprint? The Phi Delta Kappan, 94(7), 14-17. Retrieved January 21, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23611689

Weaver, S., & Gahegan, M. (2007). Constructing, Visualizing, and Analyzing a Digital Footprint. Geographical Review, 97(3), 324-350. Retrieved January 21, 2021, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/30034175

#OneWord2021

My OneWord2021 is Intention.

So, what do I mean by that? Well, I want to do everything with intention. I want to teach with intention. We have limited time as teachers, especially as Teacher Candidates in our short practicums in Block 2 of the Education Program at UNBC. What we say and do is important and meaningful. I want my words to be chosen with intention. I want my actions in front of my learners to be done with intention.

I intend to reach my learners on a personal level. Learning is a personal endeavour. If one thinks back to a time in K-12 when something truly stood out to them in school, it is usually because it was a personal, meaningful experience. I want to help my learners interact with the subject material in ways that is unique to their interests and their personalities. One of the most profound pieces of writing that I have come across in Block 2 is that (in teaching writing) one must “focus on the writer first and the writing second.” (Routman, 2018, p.230). That quote resonated with me because in learning to do any subject, it is about the person doing the learning, not the subject itself.

The subject matter is, of course, important. We are responsible for teaching the renewed BC Curriculum, and we, as future educators, must acknowledge this responsibility in how we develop our lesson plans. I want to plan my lessons with intention – making sure that I can adequately prepare students for their futures.

Planning for the future takes patience and time, as is required for teaching and learning. I want to spend this year learning with intention. I intend to extend myself and absorb as much information as possible about becoming the best teacher I can be. Every bit of advice, every suggestion, and every lesson plan we learn from is valuable. We are learning so much about teaching, learning, each other, and ourselves.

I have a wonderful community of peers in the Education Program. My peers are supportive, friendly, and committed to the art of teaching. I am fortunate to be learning alongside such bright, enthusiastic individuals. I want to continue to develop these important professional relationships with intention.

So, in short, I intend to develop my skills as a teacher, a learner, and a supportive peer. I want everything I do moving forward this year to be done with intention.

Reference

Routman, R. (2018). Literacy essentials: Engagement, excellence, and equity for all learners. Portland, ME: Stenhouse.

Learning to Teach by Learning to Learn: The Final Assignment and Provocation

I have always loved teaching. I love seeing the light in the eyes of my learners when they finally understand a difficult subject. Bringing joy to a young person’s life makes me feel purposeful and gives me a deep sense of meaning. Helping others inherently makes me feel useful, and it is a triumphant accomplishment for me to teach children.

EDUC394 provoked my thinking in many ways. Having never taken an Indigenous course, I admit I was quite ignorant in terms of Indigenous ways of teaching and knowing prior to this program. I have learned so much about respect, diversity, and the First Peoples Principles of Learning (FPPL) during this Block. I have also learned about navigating the BC Curriculum. Getting to the “meat” of the subject of teaching is exciting, and I was anxious to dive into the BC Curriculum throughout this Block. However, learning takes patience and time. We were not ready to dive into the BC Curriculum until we learned about FPPL, Professional Standards for BC Educators, and the BCTF Code of Ethics. That had really challenged my thinking, as I had initially thought that we would be just thrown into the deep end of the BC Curriculum at the beginning.

The incorporation of self-reflection in all our courses has been very thought-provoking. I never realized how important it was to have my own understanding of my pedagogy, my identity as an educator. The blogs and class discussions have really opened my eyes to the type of educator I want to become. The personal pedagogy statement required for EDUC393 was especially enlightening to compose, as I had never really thought about my own personal philosophies before. I was exposed to a variety of useful and thought-provoking literature on education philosophy, which really helped me shape my own pedagogical statement. EDUC390 was truly eye-opening. I had the privilege of learning from other educators in SD57 throughout Block 1. These educators were all so unique, yet all shared the same passions and values that I do: inclusivity, respect, dignity, and openness. My own reflective pieces for EDUC390 were a chance to truly respond to what I had observed in the classrooms. Seeing what we had been discussing in EDUC346 in person during EDUC390 was truly inspirational. Having never taken an Aboriginal studies class until this year, I was eager to learn more about how we can incorporate First Peoples’ ways of learning and knowing into the classroom. The overarching courses (EDUC446 and 405) were very interesting to me, and challenged my thinking. Doing blog reflections on important topics, such as digital literacy and citizenship, assessments, BC curriculum, and this final project forced me to really delve deep into my own sense of self and relate that to my learning. So much of what we learned this Block has been self-reflective, which is important for our future success as educators. We are truly learning how to teach by first learning about ourselves.

I now know that I want to build upon my strengths as an educator. I have a high attention to detail, I am kind, compassionate, and passionate about teaching and learning. I also understand the struggles and challenges that young learners face. After years as a Behaviour Interventionist, and an After School Care Leader, and now a Teacher Candidate, I truly know how to connect with students. I can observe a student’s behaviour and tell what techniques will help to engage them in the subject being taught.

Keeping students engaged and enthusiastic about learning is one of the keys to success when working with children, along with respect for the diversity of needs and teaching techniques. My biggest question is “How can I effectively teach EVERY student?”, and I hope to learn to answer this question over the coming years as an educator. I also have further questions to consider:

• How do we make learning fun and engaging?
  • How do we make the learning dynamic and alive for learners?
  • What areas do I need to develop to become a better teacher?

In order to answer the above guiding questions, I have created a catchphrase to keep in mind: Learning to Teach by Learning to Learn. In order to become an effective teacher, I must also work to become an effective learner myself.

I have also developed a simple graphic to help me shape my own learning. It is both holistic and subjective in nature. So, how did I develop my visual model of my learning? Well, first it was simply a word dump. Then I traced the outline, forming what I thought was a strawberry. Once I added a leaf on top, I realized I had made one of the most iconic items linked to teachers: the apple.

Yes, I had drawn an apple with words in it. Fantastic… but, wait, there is more!

The core of the apple is made up of the Core Competencies of BC Curriculum, which are layered, as one could envision when looking at the different Profiles of the Core Competencies. Deeper in the apple, the Curricular Competencies and the Content make up the seeds. The (delicious) skin of the apple is the Big Ideas, which are overarching concepts. Finally, the leaf of the apple, which was attached to the stem, extends the knowledge to other parts of the tree of knowledge (the Education Program and beyond).

Digital Citizenship

What is digital citizenship? Why is digital citizenship important to learn? How could digital citizenship be taught and modelled in K-12 schools? (What would you teach?)

“Digital citizenship refers to the responsible use of technology by anyone who uses computers, the Internet, and digital devices to engage with society on any level” (Zook, n.d.).

I decided to begin by citing a definition of digital citizenship. The key term above is ‘responsible’. One must be a responsible user of digital mediums in order to be considered a good citizen. What factors make one a good digital citizen? What exactly are we talking about? For clarity, we should first look at the term digital citizenship. Let’s break it down. The word ‘digital’ refers to the medium with which one is using to communicate (the Internet, cell phones, etc.). The word ‘citizenship’ refers to the virtuous, good, responsible individual. In short, the good citizen. So, how can someone be considered a good digital citizen? What makes one responsible in the online environment?

Several factors come to mind when looking at citizenship. Responsibility is key here. But, what makes one responsible? My first thought is that one must portray accurate information and facts (63 Things, 2018; Davis, 2017). Speaking the truth, so to speak, is essential in being responsible for one’s actions, words, and thoughts. This is especially important in the online environment. Communication is a huge theme when it comes to Digital Citizenship (63 Things, 2018; Davis, 2017). When a world of information is available at your fingertips, it can be overwhelming. The urge to just blindly share news stories and theories can be strong, but doing the adequate background checks can prevent one from misrepresenting a topic.

One must also be sure to only post what is appropriate (culturally, pedagogically, and otherwise) for their audience. Racially-charged, prejudiced, highly political, and otherwise inappropriate content is not advisable, especially in light of how open communication is today. This is an important guideline for new (and experienced) teachers to understand. Being a part of a profession means that you are viewed through the lens of the collective peoples’ values.

Digital citizenship can be taught at a relatively young age – ideally, at the same time that students are developing their digital literacy. I would like to share some important topics for teaching digital citizenship in the classroom from Zook (n.d.).

If you want to teach digital citizenship, you’ll want to focus on seven key concepts:

1. Empathy
  2. How the Internet works
  3. Understanding user data
  4. Practicing digital literacy
  5. Acknowledging the digital divide
  6. Practicing digital wellness
  7. Securing digital devices

Unfortunately, I do not have the space to get into the details for each topic as one could easily write a blog about each topic in turn. In summation, teaching digital citizenship is essential in the pursuit of knowledge, safety, and equity for all.

63 Things Every Student Should Know In A Digital World. (2018, August 12). Retrieved November 30, 2020, from https://www.teachthought.com/the-future-of-learning/63-things-every-student-should-know-in-a-digital-world/

Davis, V. (2017, November 01). What Your Students Really Need to Know About Digital Citizenship. Retrieved November 30, 2020, from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/digital-citizenship-need-to-know-vicki-davis

Zook, C. (n.d.). What Is Digital Citizenship & How Do You Teach It? Retrieved November 14, 2020, from https://www.aeseducation.com/blog/what-is-digital-citizenship

EdCamp UVic

On November 6, 2020, I had the honour of attending and participating in one of the most interesting and captivating conferences I have witnessed. I speak, of course, about the EdcampUVic, 2020. Prior to beginning the conference, I had no idea what shape it would take. In lecture, our professor let us know that these conferences take on more of a discussion-type of theme. I was intrigued. Teachers and teacher candidates would be running the show? And we would all be answering the many questions bubbling in our minds? How could we possibly find out the answers that (seemingly) only experts would have?!

I had the pleasure of attending the “How to Use Group Work in the Classroom in an Effective Way” group. Luckily for us, many people joined our breakout room. At one point, it was the most populated breakout room. I took on the (sometimes shared) role as recorder, taking notes for the topic on the provided Google Doc. I really enjoy having a more active role in the group conversations, and note-taking keeps me focused and on-task. I was able to multitask, as I was leading some of the discussions in the group. It was wonderful hearing the opinions and perspectives from (new to me) peers.

We posed questions, commented on our thoughts and responses, then looked forward to new, related questions about group work. I really appreciated the level of discussion and engagement with the topic. Some of our prompting questions included:

• Question 1: Issues with group work from your past/experiences?
  • Question 2: Is group work something you are interested in doing in your teaching?
  • Question 3: What do you do when you are in a group and you have someone that claims they want to do something but is not actually interested in working?
  • Question 4: Do you prefer students choose groups or are assigned groups?
  • Question 5: Giving students the option of group work/individual work? – and should any of it be mandatory?

Again, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of response to these important, thought-provoking inquiries. Our discussion group came to the conclusion that all these answers to the above questions are situation-specific. We all agreed on the merits and drawbacks of group work (for example, the lack of inclusivity when students create their own groups, but the ability to have autonomy in their learning). We all agreed that we have had both positive and negative experiences for ourselves in group work. We all agreed, most importantly, that group work (like most things in life) should be approached in moderation. It is a great tool, and definitely an approach that should be introduced early in life, but it is to be used strategically. Independence and autonomy are also important to learners, and striking a balance of group vs. individual work is the key in promoting a healthy learning environment.

Unfortunately, there was little on-topic discussion in the “Diversification in the Classroom to Reach All Learners” group. Sometimes that would happen, as less and less people stayed online after 1pm. Despite the hiccups in the other breakout groups, I found the experience in my group work breakout room thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening.

It turns out that, as future educators, we have the power to answer many of our own questions within the confines of our peers. That’s right. Our peers were the ones answering our burning questions. It was a fascinating and quite liberating experience. We have the power to move forward and become the teachers we always dreamed we would be. Sure, there is certainly more to learn in the Education Program before any of us can become certified teachers, but it is comforting to know that we are on our way. Together.

Learning Progressions

What are learning progressions? Why are they important? What did you learn from today’s learning activity?

Learning progressions are the continuum of learning of skills/content that are age appropriate, which are built upon towards more complex goals.

Learning progressions are a way of scaffolding a skill/learning outcome for learners, and for teachers to plan how to teach the specific skill/learning outcome. I found a quote from my readings that really helped to clarify what learning progressions are: “Although standards and curricula are often prioritized in educational documentation, it is the progress toward the standards and meeting curricular goals that is important. This “progress” can be seen as a roadmap which supports instructional planning” (Kim and Care, 2018).

Have you ever tried to write a lengthy essay without an outline? How about trying to find a new address without the help of a map or GPS? Trying to teach a complicated set of curricula without a roadmap to guide you is far more difficult than is necessary. Learning progressions allow the teacher to plan, guide, and reflect on their teaching of a new skill/concept.

How are learning progressions formed? “Typically, learning progressions are constructed on the basis of some sort of backward analysis. An educator first identifies a significant curricular aim and then asks, “What does a student need to know or be able to do to master this aim?”” (Ascd, n.d.). In other words, it is a sort of backwards chaining/scaffolding method. Conveniently, this is something I used to use and develop daily as a behaviour interventionist. It also reminds me of the acronym S.M.A.R.T. goals: you want to make sure the skill is specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and done in a specified amount of time.

We completed a really interesting activity in class on October 30, 2020, wherein our groups had the task of creating a simple learning progression. It was difficult to do in such a short time, and even more difficult because we had to first decide on what skill/concept to progress towards. My team chose the skill of floor hockey, something I have always enjoyed, but honestly never excelled at myself. My group began by asking the question: “what are the basic skills you’d want to teach? At what age should teaching begin?” – and off we went. We decided to theoretically begin teaching the set of skills for floor hockey in Kindergarten, and progress through to grade 9 level. It was fascinating breaking up something as complex as floor hockey into the basic skills of the sport, and sportsmanship itself. We learned a lot about how we view sports in general, and realized that much of what we planned to teach would be transferable to other school-led sports activities. We also learned that there would have to be a significant level of flexibility for both the teachers and the students learning this skill. Some learners will naturally excel at sports, while others (like myself) may struggle. The key here is to have peer-support and comradery taught at the early stages, along with good sportsmanship and a basic understanding of the game itself.

All in all, we found this exercise especially enlightening… we all agreed that we could have used more time for discussions and theoretical planning, but we quickly understood that that was the lesson. Learning does take patience and time.

Ascd. (n.d.). All About Accountability / The Lowdown on Learning Progressions. Retrieved November 04, 2020, from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/apr07/vol64/num07/The-Lowdown-on-Learning-Progressions.aspx

Kim, H., & Care, E. (2018, March 27). Learning progressions: Pathways for 21st century teaching and learning. Retrieved November 04, 2020, from https://www.brookings.edu/blog/education-plus-development/2018/03/27/learning-progressions-pathways-for-21st-century-teaching-and-learning/amp/

Kurt, S. (2020, August 18). Vygotsky’s Zone of Proximal Development and Scaffolding. Retrieved November 04, 2020, from https://educationaltechnology.net/vygotskys-zone-of-proximal-development-and-scaffolding/

Learning Progression Definition. (2013, August 29). Retrieved November 04, 2020, from https://www.edglossary.org/learning-progression/

Curriculum and Assessment

In my opinion, BC’s curriculum is a praxis. It is the thing that defines the practice of teaching. As educators, we need a set of guidelines and plans to follow in order to teach children. We use curriculum as a syllabus, a product, and a process of teaching and learning. BC’s curriculum has undergone some alterations in recent years. Although BC’s curriculum is still a guideline to follow, teachers have more autonomy to teach in various methods.

Assessment is an important part of teaching and learning. Teachers need to know how students are doing in order to better plan and design curriculum to suit those students. Assessments can be in for the form of summative or formative assessments. There is great value in both forms of assessment, as summative assessments are a one-way evaluation of the end of the learning process, and formative assessments are more inclusive, incorporating two-way conversations between student and teacher. Furthermore, formative assessments are on-going, while summative assessments are utilized at the end of the learning process. Our personal pedagogies are not necessarily static, instead, they are more fluid in nature. The use of assessments can help to inform and reshape our pedagogies, and develop our curriculum.

Assessments were always a huge motivator for me as a learner. The inner sense of accomplishment and the praise of my parents were the things that motivated me. I also wanted recognition from my teacher and the school in general. I do not recall specific lessons from my elementary years, but I know I retained the information necessary to excel in my high school career. I had built upon the many significant learning moments in elementary and high school… and assessments drove my motivation for learning. There were very few formative assessments that I was aware of in the elementary and high school days. Perhaps these assessments were taking place without my realization.

I think that much has changed since my days in public school as a learner. I am hopeful and very interested in learning more about myself, my personal pedagogy, and the BC curriculum. My passion for learning and teaching is only growing stronger as my time in the Education Program continues.

Page 1 of 2

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén