Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

One of my strengths during practicum (EDUC391) was my broad knowledge base that I could draw from for lesson planning and teaching. I was able to handle any questions that were asked, as well as offer resources that could offer more information on the subjects I was teaching. My students would show their curiosity about the natural world during Science lessons, inquire about mathematics during Math, and ask for examples during English Language Arts. Their curious nature meant that I had to be ready to answer all forms of questions and comments. It was a wonderful learning experience.

It was empowering to use my prior knowledge and education (I have a Bachelor of Science in Biology, also from UNBC). I really enjoyed being able to confidently explain some basic scientific phenomenon using my general knowledge.

My solid foundation of skills in all areas/subjects was evident during the lessons and one-on-one teaching moments during practicum. My Coaching Teacher made note of my ability to handle any question/comment with poise and confidence, both while teaching and while helping out in the classroom.

I had a variety of questions and comments to respond to during my time teaching. One of my favourites was in response to my prompt: “what are you curious about?” during Science. I had responses such as, “chicken nuggets” and “where does glass come from?”, along with a multitude of other queries. I was able to address each response with professionalism and confidence in my prior knowledge.

I never realized just how important my Biology degree would be in the future. Having the wide range of experience and background knowledge gives me more depth, and more confidence, when teaching any subject. As you may know, there are breadth requirements for most degrees, and my Biology degree was no exception. I have a diverse background of teachable subjects (everything from basic physical education to English Language Arts, and Science/Math). Even my knowledge of art is useful in the Elementary school classroom. I do not claim to know everything, and I am happy to admit when I do not know the answer – that is especially important for students to see in subjects such as Science. It is the questions that drives the curiosity and research.

Ms. Berry – teaching one of my lessons using the document projector (March, 2021).