In my opinion, BC’s curriculum is a praxis. It is the thing that defines the practice of teaching. As educators, we need a set of guidelines and plans to follow in order to teach children. We use curriculum as a syllabus, a product, and a process of teaching and learning. BC’s curriculum has undergone some alterations in recent years. Although BC’s curriculum is still a guideline to follow, teachers have more autonomy to teach in various methods.

Assessment is an important part of teaching and learning. Teachers need to know how students are doing in order to better plan and design curriculum to suit those students. Assessments can be in for the form of summative or formative assessments. There is great value in both forms of assessment, as summative assessments are a one-way evaluation of the end of the learning process, and formative assessments are more inclusive, incorporating two-way conversations between student and teacher. Furthermore, formative assessments are on-going, while summative assessments are utilized at the end of the learning process. Our personal pedagogies are not necessarily static, instead, they are more fluid in nature. The use of assessments can help to inform and reshape our pedagogies, and develop our curriculum.

Assessments were always a huge motivator for me as a learner. The inner sense of accomplishment and the praise of my parents were the things that motivated me. I also wanted recognition from my teacher and the school in general. I do not recall specific lessons from my elementary years, but I know I retained the information necessary to excel in my high school career. I had built upon the many significant learning moments in elementary and high school… and assessments drove my motivation for learning. There were very few formative assessments that I was aware of in the elementary and high school days. Perhaps these assessments were taking place without my realization.

I think that much has changed since my days in public school as a learner. I am hopeful and very interested in learning more about myself, my personal pedagogy, and the BC curriculum. My passion for learning and teaching is only growing stronger as my time in the Education Program continues.