On November 6, 2020, I had the honour of attending and participating in one of the most interesting and captivating conferences I have witnessed. I speak, of course, about the EdcampUVic, 2020. Prior to beginning the conference, I had no idea what shape it would take. In lecture, our professor let us know that these conferences take on more of a discussion-type of theme. I was intrigued. Teachers and teacher candidates would be running the show? And we would all be answering the many questions bubbling in our minds? How could we possibly find out the answers that (seemingly) only experts would have?!

I had the pleasure of attending the “How to Use Group Work in the Classroom in an Effective Way” group. Luckily for us, many people joined our breakout room. At one point, it was the most populated breakout room. I took on the (sometimes shared) role as recorder, taking notes for the topic on the provided Google Doc. I really enjoy having a more active role in the group conversations, and note-taking keeps me focused and on-task. I was able to multitask, as I was leading some of the discussions in the group. It was wonderful hearing the opinions and perspectives from (new to me) peers.

We posed questions, commented on our thoughts and responses, then looked forward to new, related questions about group work. I really appreciated the level of discussion and engagement with the topic. Some of our prompting questions included:

• Question 1: Issues with group work from your past/experiences?
  • Question 2: Is group work something you are interested in doing in your teaching?
  • Question 3: What do you do when you are in a group and you have someone that claims they want to do something but is not actually interested in working?
  • Question 4: Do you prefer students choose groups or are assigned groups?
  • Question 5: Giving students the option of group work/individual work? – and should any of it be mandatory?

Again, I was pleasantly surprised by the level of response to these important, thought-provoking inquiries. Our discussion group came to the conclusion that all these answers to the above questions are situation-specific. We all agreed on the merits and drawbacks of group work (for example, the lack of inclusivity when students create their own groups, but the ability to have autonomy in their learning). We all agreed that we have had both positive and negative experiences for ourselves in group work. We all agreed, most importantly, that group work (like most things in life) should be approached in moderation. It is a great tool, and definitely an approach that should be introduced early in life, but it is to be used strategically. Independence and autonomy are also important to learners, and striking a balance of group vs. individual work is the key in promoting a healthy learning environment.

Unfortunately, there was little on-topic discussion in the “Diversification in the Classroom to Reach All Learners” group. Sometimes that would happen, as less and less people stayed online after 1pm. Despite the hiccups in the other breakout groups, I found the experience in my group work breakout room thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening.

It turns out that, as future educators, we have the power to answer many of our own questions within the confines of our peers. That’s right. Our peers were the ones answering our burning questions. It was a fascinating and quite liberating experience. We have the power to move forward and become the teachers we always dreamed we would be. Sure, there is certainly more to learn in the Education Program before any of us can become certified teachers, but it is comforting to know that we are on our way. Together.