My goal is to become an inclusive educator. I want to create a classroom atmosphere of respect, trust, inclusivity, and equity. My education in the Bachelor of Education Program at the University of Northern British Columbia is facilitating me reaching my goals as an educator. I am continually learning to teach by learning to learn. Yes, my student status is helping me to become a better educator.

As a student, I often struggle with perfectionism. I expect to fully grasp concepts at the first iteration. I would never expect this from my own students, however, and it is an unrealistic mindset. In fact, I believe that it is the opposite of a growth mindset. It is something I am working hard to address. This was especially evident during my EDUC391 practicum. Luckily, it is also a part of the learning process to work towards moving out of a fixed mindset into a growth mindset.

I am very detail-oriented. I see this as a strength as a student. I am careful to complete my coursework in a timely manner, and I work hard to ensure that it is my best work. It can easily become part of my perfectionist nature, however, so I do have to be careful.

I love the act of learning. The struggle, the triumphs, and all the hard work. I enjoy the feeling of accomplishment and pride that it gives me when I have learned something new. My passion for knowledge drives me as a student. My passion for learning also drives my passion for teaching – I love that I can help others discover the joy of learning.

I love learning. I love teaching. The marriage of the two concepts comes naturally to me, and I am truly enjoying the process of learning to teach by learning to learn.

Ms. Berry helping students during EDUC391 Practicum (March 2021).